15 Inexpensive Renovations and Upgrades You Can Tackle Today!
Beautiful home at 2020 Back River Lane in James City County. Call Jay Ponton at Williamsburg Realty.
When homeowners think about renovating their properties they can get bogged down by the idea of spending thousands on a new kitchen, new bathroom or add-on. However, there are inexpensive, do-it-yourself ways to give your home a facelift.
- Start with a coat of paint. Paint is the single best way to update and freshen up your home on a small budget. If you’re preparing your home to sell, stick with neutral colors.
- Give a main room an upgrade by adding crown molding.
- Replace kitchen cabinet hardware.
- Repaint kitchen cabinets. Again, a little paint goes a long way.
- Re-grout the bathroom. Caulk costs as little as $10 and is easy to apply.
- Update those dingy window treatments and let in more natural light.
- Upgrade your security system and install the latest technology.
- Replace old water fixtures with new modern designs that catch the eye.
- Recover, refinish or paint existing furniture.
- Renew old wood flooring with a bright new finish.
- Trim the hedges. Nothing is as detrimental to curb appeal as overgrown shrubs, uncut grass and vines climbing up the exterior.
- Replace dead or dying plants with hardy foliage that can withstand harsh weather.
- Replace old and rusted exterior lighting.
- Pressure-wash dirty surfaces. The power of water can greatly improve the appearance of your home. Pressure-wash the driveway, fencing, the garage door, stone walkways, etc.
- Add a backyard deck for entertaining and relaxing. Deck kits are relatively inexpensive investments for what you’ll gain in return.
Whether you’re getting ready to put your home on the market or you realize you’ve been neglecting it for far too long, these tips are fifteen of the least expensive ways to transform your home. Plus, when you do decide to sell, you’ll have less work to do in preparation.